216 Ozark Hall
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
University of Arkansas Geosciences alumni FACEBOOK LINK
Department Thesis Library Spreadsheet - should your thesis be here?
UPDATES - All alumni of the Department of Geosciences at the University of Arkansas are encouraged to send us your news. We will post alumni information as it is sent, including pictures, so send us the news about your new job, new location, new degree, your wedding announcement, a birth announcement, retirement announcement, etc!
Jane Spellman (MS Geology 1987) visited Antarctica in January, 2014!
Bill Cains, (MS Geology 1980) has been appointed to the Arkansas Geological Commission.
Erica Doerr (MS Geology 2004) and Luke Martin (BS Geology 2002), who met during the geology field camp back in 2001, celebrated the birth of their first child on May 5, 2013. Finley Keld Martin (Finn) is a healthy and happy little boy!
Drew Kreman (MS Geology 2011) wrote a review in AAPG Explorer reporting on a screening of the movie "Switch" in Oklahoma City. (http://www.aapg.org/explorer/2013/05may/protracks0513.cfm)
Sean Chenoweth (MA Geography 1997) and his wife Laura announce the birth of their son, Carsten, (February 2013)!
ReBecca Hunt-Foster (BS Geology 2003) began working for the BLM as the Canyon Country District Paleontologist in January of 2013. This is the first Regional Paleontologist position for the BLM. Her job is located in Moab, Utah, and she continues to reside with her family in Fruita, Colorado.
- Eric Holder (MA Geography 2012), is in Little Rock at the Arkansas Geographic Information Office.
- David Cate (BS, MS Geology ’60, ’62), Exploration Manager for Pruet Oil Company LLC, Jackson, MS, was selected as an Honorary Member of the Mississippi Geological Society in April, 2012
- Stephanie Shepherd (MS Geology 2001, PhD ENDY 2010) is Assistant Professor, Environmental, Geographical, and Geological Sciences at Bloomsburg University, Pennsylvania
- Jessica Pontiff (MS Geology 2007) and Eric Nelson (MA Geography 2007) recently married at Carnall Hall. Eric and Jessica live and work in Midland, TX. Jessica is a geologist in the Wolfberry Play of the Midland Basin for Berry Petroleum Company (www.bry.com). Eric works for Concho Resources (www.concho.com) as a GIS Analyst. Some of his maps can be found on the company's investor presentation and other areas of their website.
- Bob Tehan (MS Geology 1976, BS Geology 1970) currently works for Linn Energy in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma as a Geological Advisor, since January, 2009.
- Chuck Berlau (MS Geology 1981) died February 22, 2011.
- Cristy Houston (BS Geology 2006) works for Devon Energy in Oklahoma City, since August 2010.
- Tom Maringer (MA Geography 1996) has written, "A Superior State of Affairs."
- Jack King (MS Geology 2001) reports that he is the new project manager for Calvista Gold, a Canadian company in Colombia. He is in the Andes Mountains drilling for gold! He has pictures on his facebook site: Jack Gold Heart.
- William Brooks (Brooks) Clower Jr. (MS Geology 1989) died Aug. 5, 2010.
- R. Bernard Black (MS Geology 1972) died February 25, 2010 .
- Dan C. Edwards (BS Geology 1950, MS Geology 1951) died January 20, 2010.
- Stephanie (Owcarz) Bradley (BS Geology 2007) died December 15, 2009.
- Christopher I. Parsons (MA Geography 1995) died December 10, 2009 in Springdale, AR.
- Crystal Masterson (MA Geography 2005) has taken a job with Wiser Company, LLC in Murfreesboro, TX as a Senior Geospatial Analyst.
- Jan Dixon wife of Dr. John Dixon, professor of Geography, died October 21, 2009.
- Kent Duran (MS Geology 1988) is a Registered Professional Geologist in Lago Vista, Texas and is working as an environmental consultant with Austin EnviroSolutions.
- Matt Edmonds (BS Geology 2000, MS Geology2005) was killed on June 9, 2009.
- Sarah Frances White (BS Geology 2006) received her Master of Arts in Teaching in 2008 from the University of Arkansas. She now lives in Bentonville with her husband and step-daughter, and is a Physical Science teacher at Central Junior High in Springdale.
- ReBecca Hunt-Foster (BS Geology 2003) Rebecca got her M.S. in Geology from Texas Tech University in 2005, worked as the geologist-in-the-park for Glacier National Park during the summer of 2005 then moved to Augustana College in Rock Island, IL where she worked in the Department of Geosciences as a Paleontology Research Assistant from October of 2005 to June of 2008. Then she moved to western Colorado, married Dr. John Foster (a fellow paleontologist and geologist) on August 9, 2008, and has been working at the Museum of Western Colorado in Fruita, Colorado, as the Paleontology Collections Manager since the beginning of 2009. They live in Grand Junction.
- Lindell C. Bridges (MS Geology 1982) is now Senior Vice President of Exploration for Equitable Resources in Pittsburgh, PA.
- John Downs (MS Geology 1982) is in Prison for life in Qatar. For his story, click here.
- Matt Houston (BS Geology 2005, MS Geology 2007) is in Oklahoma City working for Devon Energy. His wife, Cristy (Mofield) Houston (BS Geology 2006) received her MS at the University of Tulsa in 2008 and currently works for Range Resources.
- Robert B. Hall (BS Geology 1938) died December 27, 2008 in Denver, CO.
- Crystal Phillips Masterson (MA Geography 2005) is currently working for the Arkansas Archeological Survey as a GIS Specialist.
- Larry Smith (BS Geology 1978) has recently been promoted to serve as the Chief of the Emerging Concept Branch here in the US Army Combined Arms Support Command's Directorate of Training at Fort Lee, Virginia.
- Mike Howard (BS Geology 1971, MS Geology 1974) update: In 1987 he put together the first comprehensive mineral-oriented guide for Arkansas, AGC Bulletin 23. In 2007 he completed the first revision of that work. In 2004 he spent the year collecting samples for the USGS on the National Geochemical Survey, with much being posted on the USGS and AGS websites. He is currently working on a long-term project on Arkansas Mineral Commodities, which he will finish by 2011. He still rides his motorcycle, which he remembers parking in the Physics Buildng during his years here, next to Kern Jackson's office and the Petrology Lab, to keep it out of sight of the Campus Police!
- Sandra Chandler (MS Geology 2001) was hired in February as the Engineering Section's Source Water Protection Program Geologist for the Arkansas Department of Health. She will be assisting in implementing the Section's Wellhead Protection and Source Water Assessment Programs.
- Kern C. Jackson (Professor) died on November 1, 2008.
- Eloise Doherty (Geology 1995) died on February 15, 2008.
- Jeff Liner (BS Geology 1977, MS Geology 1980) died in Tulsa on July 14, 2008.
- David Reed (MA Geography 2007) works for City of Fayetteville GIS department.
- Jason Patton (PhD ENDY, 2008) is Assistant Professor of Geology at Arkansas Tech University.
- Ben Odhiambo Kisila (PhD ENDY, 2002) is Assistant Professor of Environmental and Earth Sciences at U. of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, VA.
- Angela Polly Sutton (MS Geology, 2001) works for the Tennessee Valley Authority in Florence, AL
- Camille Hutchinson (MS Geology, 2004) works for the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration in Birmingham, AL
- Adam Barnes (MA Geography 2006) works at CAST
- Jack King (MS Geology 2002) is a Registered Professional Geologist in Winslow, AR
- Maria King (MS Geology 2002) is a Registered Professional Geologist in Winslow, AR
- Elizabeth Van Boskirk (MS Geology, 2005) is employed by UNAVCO
- B.J. Brown (MS Geology, 1999) works as an environmental geologist in Ft. Smith, AR
- Reginald Beardsley (BA English 1977, MS Geology 1983) has moved from Houston to Heber Springs, AR. He is a geophysical consultant with an emphasis on rock physics and pore pressure prediction from seismic.
- Chris Liner (BS Geology 1979) has returned to the US from Saudi Arabia. He is teaching at the University of Houston.
- Todd Jorgensen (BA Geography 2004) currently works at the City of Fayetteville in the GIS Department. This year a zoning map by Todd was chosen to be included in the ESRI Map Book.
- HTD (Harry) Rost (MA Geography 1956) has lived and taught all over the world. He now works with the New Era Teacher training Centre, the New Era High School, around 25 shools throughout India with a Peace Education Program for students aged 4 to 10, and the Universal Human Values Program developed at the BaHai Academy in Panchgani.